Rachel grew up in South Wales. Following undergraduate (MChem) and graduate studies (PhD) in Swansea University, she undertook a short postdoctoral fellowship in the Marie Curie Training network CIPSNAC, spending time in the University of Coimbra, Portugal (Prof. Maria Miguel) and the Université Paris-Sud, France (Prof. Françoise Livolant). She returned to Portugal in 2008 with an independent FCT postdoctoral fellowship jointly between the University of Coimbra and University of Aveiro. In 2009 she cut this fellowship short to take up a contract lectureship at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. She was appointed the Ussher Assistant Professor of Device Fabrication in 2011, elected to Fellowship in 2015 and promoted to Associate Professor in 2016. She moved to the University of Cambridge in 2017.
- 2018 – Co-Founder and Chief Scientific Officer, Senoptica Technologies
- 2017- University Lecturer, Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2016- Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- 2015 – Fellow, Trinity College Dublin
- 2011-2016 – Ussher Assistant Professor in Device Fabrication, Trinity College Dublin
- 2009-2010 – Contract Lecturer in Physical Chemistry, Trinity College Dublin
- 2008-2009 – FCT Postdoctoral Fellow, Universidades de Coimbra & Aveiro, Portugal
- 2007 – Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow, Université Paris-Sud, France
- 2003-2007 – PhD Physical Chemistry, Swansea University, UK
- 2002-2003 – IAESTE Industrial Fellowship – Lonza AG, Switzerland
- 1998-2002 – MChem Chemistry, Swansea University, UK
Awards and Honours
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2018
- Fellow, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, 2018
- RSC/SCI Macro Group UK Young Researchers Medal, 2017
- Dillwyn Medal for STEMM, awarded by the Learned Society of Wales, 2017
- Featured in Journal of Materials Chemistry Emerging Investigators’ Issue, 2016
- Featured in ChemComm’s Emerging Investigators’ Issue, 2014
- Harry Hallam prize for Physical/Inorganic Chemistry, 2008
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) Ronald Belcher Memorial Lectureship, 2007
Invited Talks and Seminars 2018/19
- 14th International Conference on Materials Chemistry (U.K.), Birmingham, 8-11th July 2019. Invited Keynote Talk.
- Herriot-Watt University (U.K.), 13th March 2019, Invited Seminar.
- North East Centre for Energy Materials (U.K.), 20th February 2019. Invited Seminar.
- NSFC-RSC Symposium on Polymer Chemistry, University of Warwick (UK), 13-14th December 2018. Invited Talk
- MRS Fall Meeting, Boston (USA), November 2018, Invited Keynote Talk (Symposium ET13)
- Large Scale Structures User Group Meeting, ISIS (UK), November 2018, Invited Talk
- Jornada Ibérica de Fotoquímica Aveiro (Portugal), 12-14thSeptember 2018, Invited Plenary Lecture
- Macro18, Cairns (Australia), 1st-5thJuly 1018, Invited Talk.
- UK Neutron and Muon Science and User Meeting, Warwick (U.K.), 25th-27thApril 2018. Invited Talk
- University of Glasgow (U.K.), 20thMarch 2018, Invited Seminar.
- University College London (U.K.), 24thJanuary 2018, Invited Seminar.
- Bergische Universität Wuppertal (Germany), 15thJanuary 2018, Invited Seminar.
- RSC Photochemistry Interest Group, Chair, 2017-2020
- RSC Member Networks Committee – Interest Group Representative, 2017-
- RSC Eastern Regional Steering Group, 2017-2020
- Editorial Board of Materials Today Chemistry