Rachel grew up in South Wales. Following undergraduate (MChem) and graduate studies (PhD) in Swansea University, she undertook a short postdoctoral fellowship in the Marie Curie Training network CIPSNAC, spending time in the University of Coimbra, Portugal (Prof. Maria Miguel) and the Université Paris-Sud, France (Prof. Françoise Livolant). She returned to Portugal in 2008 with an independent FCT postdoctoral fellowship jointly between the University of Coimbra and University of Aveiro. In 2009 she cut this fellowship short to take up a contract lectureship at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland. She was appointed the Ussher Assistant Professor of Device Fabrication in 2011, elected to Fellowship in 2015 and promoted to Associate Professor in 2016. She moved to the University of Cambridge as a Lecturer in 2017, and was promoted to Reader in Materials Chemistry in 2019.
- 2019 – Reader in Materials Chemistry
- 2018 – Co-Founder and Chief Scientific Officer, Senoptica Technologies
- 2017- University Lecturer, Department of Materials Science and Metallurgy, University of Cambridge, UK
- 2016- Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Trinity College Dublin (TCD), Ireland
- 2015 – Fellow, Trinity College Dublin
- 2011-2016 – Ussher Assistant Professor in Device Fabrication, TCD
- 2009-2010 – Contract Lecturer in Physical Chemistry, TCD
- 2008-2009 – FCT Postdoctoral Fellow, Universidades de Coimbra & Aveiro, Portugal
- 2007 – Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow, Université Paris-Sud, France
- 2003-2007 – PhD Physical Chemistry, Swansea University, UK
- 2002-2003 – IAESTE Industrial Fellowship – Lonza AG, Switzerland
- 1998-2002 – MChem Chemistry, Swansea University, UK
Awards and Honours
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), 2018
- Fellow, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (FIMMM), 2018
- RSC/SCI Macro Group UK Young Researchers Medal, 2017
- Dillwyn Medal for STEMM, from the Learned Society of Wales, 2017
- Featured in Journal of Materials Chemistry Emerging Investigators’ Issue, 2016
- Featured in ChemComm’s Emerging Investigators’ Issue, 2014
- Harry Hallam prize for Physical/Inorganic Chemistry, 2008
- RSC Ronald Belcher Memorial Lectureship, 2007
Invited Talks and Seminars 2019
- Physical Aspects of Polymer Science (IOP), 11-13thSeptember 2019, Lincoln (UK), Invited Keynote Lecture.
- Recent Appointees in Polymer Science, Leeds (UK), 4-6thSeptember 2019, Plenary Lecture.
- Methods and Applications of Fluorescence(MAF19), San Diego (USA), 20-24thAugust 2019, Invited Keynote Lecture.
- RSC 14th International Conference on Materials Chemistry (MC14), Birmingham (UK), 8-11thJuly 2019, Invited Keynote Talk.
- Centre for Plastic Electronics Annual Symposium2019, Imperial College London (UK), 11-12thJune 2019.
- 15th Photovoltaic Science, Applications and Technology Conference, Warwick (UK), 10-12thApril 2019, Invited Speaker.
- University of Herriot-Watt (UK),13thMarch 2019, Invited Seminar.
- University of Sheffield (UK),22ndMarch 2019, Invited Seminar.
- North East Centre for Energy Materials,20thFebruary 2019, University of Newcastle (UK), Invited Seminar.
- University of Birmingham (UK),13thFebruary 2019, Invited Seminar.
- STFC Life Sciences & Soft Materials Advisory Panel, 2019-2022
- RSC Photochemistry Interest Group, Chair, 2017-2020
- RSC Member Networks Committee – Interest Group Representative, 2017-2020.
- RSC Eastern Regional Steering Group, 2017-2020
- Editorial Board of Materials Today Chemistry