A significant focus of the group’s research is the characterisation of the photophysical properties of a variety of samples, from solutions, thin films to bulk materials. We have a variety of instruments available to help us achieve this.
Edinburgh Instruments FLS1000 Photoluminescence Spectrometer
- Performs steady state and time-resolved photoluminescence measurements
- Wavelengths of available excitation sources are: 375 nm, 450 nm, 532 nm, 635 nm, 655 nm and 808 nm
- Sources at 532 nm, 655 nm and 808 nm can be operated as pulsed or continuous wave sources
- Various holders for liquid, solid and thin film samples as well as the capability to measure at cryogenic temperatures and a temperature-controlled cuvette holder (263 K – 378 K)
- Capable of multichannel scaling measurements to record fluorescence decays up between microseconds and seconds
- Capable of spectral and lifetime anisotropy measurements
Edinburgh Instruments DS5 UV-Vis Spectrometer
- Performs absorption and transmission measurements between 190 – 1100 nm.
- Equipped with a sample holder for solution samples.
- Operates via an inbuilt touchscreen
Horiba Scientific Modular Fluorolog-3 Fluorescence Spectrometer
- Two excitation sources (Xenon and Tungsten-Halogen lamps)
- Excitation iHR320 monochromator
- Emission double-monochomator with an Hamamatsu R928 PMT UV-VIS detector
- Emission iHR320 monochromator with a liquid nitrogen-cooled GaAs IR detector and a Hamamatsu R982 PMT UV-VIS detector
- Integrating Sphere accessory for PLQY measurements on solutions and solids
- The excitation and emission spectral ranges are 250-1550 nm.
Scitech Solar Simulator
- AM1.5g solar spectrum simulation (50 x 50 mm2)
- Angle-dependent solar simulation
- Equipped with integrating sphere and spectrometer for spectral converting device measurement
Perkin Elmer Lambda 750 UV/Vis/NIR Absorption Spectrometer
- Absorption/transmission and diffuse reflectance measurements from 200-900 nm
- Equipped with sample holders for solution and solid (films) samples
Custom-Built Irradiation stage and Spectrometer
- UV and Blue LED excitation of solution and solution samples
- In-situ UV/Vis absorption measurements
Renishaw Ramascope-1000 Raman Spectrometer
We manage the Department of Materials Science & Metallurgy’s Raman Spectrometer.
- Fully automatic Raman microscope with video camera and X-Y-Z stage controller.
- Two lasers (514.5 nm and 633 nm) and 1200-groove grating.
- Spectral resolution of 0.1 cm-1 and spatial resolution of 1 μm.
- Commonly operated with the holographic Notch-filter with cut-off at ~150 cm-1.
- WiRE2 software enables curve fitting, map creating, overlaying etc.